Friday, April 23, 2010

Yemaya, the mother











I am Yemaya, a goddess of West Africa.
I protect children. If you’re pregnant, you should talk to me. I am ready to help all women.
I am the mother of 15 other gods. You might call me “the” mother.
I am the ocean, too. Fishermen love me, and offer me fish. My name means She whose children are like fish. When you pick up a conch shell on the sea shore and put it to your ear, you hear me.
My favorite colors are blue, silver and white. My favorite stone is blue chalcedony. I also like watermelon, and pearls, and shiny pennies.


I am also goddess of the New Year.




Artwork courtesy of Mia Hernandez

1 comment:

  1. Twirling and twirling and twirling,
    Yo Bailo con Yemaya

    Swinging my seductive hips
    as I walk into your waters
    I become one with the ocean
    the power of water becoming my strength
    The waves crash in delight
    with every step I take,
    The sky opens and welcomes a bright night,
    The evening is clear and inviting

    Great Mother, it is your daughter
    It is my spirit mixed with you
    that sends me here to make things new

    The waves crash against my naked body
    and embrace me gently
    like a mother to her newborn child

    Oh, Mother Yemaya, your waters carry my heart
    The beat of the drums reach my soul
    And your blessings make me whole

    By: Mia Roman 2008

    ReplyDelete