Monday, April 26, 2010

Goddess of beauty




Do you know why I am so beautiful? Because I'm eclectic.

I keep getting more beautiful as time goes by. Why? Because I'm never out of fashion. In fact, I am fashion.

In the Hindu tradition, I am called Lakshmi. I am beauty, grace, charm and good luck. I am wife of Vishnu. Not bad! Because I am multifaceted and organic, I am also compared to a lotus flower.

In Buddhism, I was renamed Kichijoten and borrowed, along with my full wardrobe. This gave me a chance to try on new clothes. In the painting above from the 700s, I am wearing the same gown as a Chinese Empress. I am one of the 7 gods of fortune.

In Tokyo, Japan there is a neighborhood called Kichijoji. You can go to my temple, and then you can go shopping all day. So much beauty, so little time!

1 comment: